Thursday, June 16, 2011

now the real work begins...

I know some of you have been wondering about the restaurant we bought.  I haven't shared a lot of details before this because...well, because I am superstitious.  Now, I feel a little more comfortable that talking about it won't make bring a load of bad juju down on us. 

Deli Delicious (yeah, I don't like that name either) is a small restaurant just outside of Madison's North Side.  It is primarily a take out joint that does sandwiches and some take out dinners.  It has a reputation for putting on a good Friday fish fry, which is a prerequisite for Wisconsin restaurants, and it does a really nice prime rib on Saturday.  We do plan to make some changes to the menu, but most of what is currently offered will still be there.  The biggest change we will make will be the addition of delivery drivers.

Although the euphoric feeling of yesterday is still there, we have left ourselves with little time to savor the experience of becoming small business owners.  Tammy and I have had a countless conversations about opening a restaurant over the past several years; however, The time for daydreams and fantasy is passed us now.  It is time to put our energy into making our ideas a reality.

Our closing date is set for June 30, which leaves precious little in the way of time to accomplish what appears to a mountain of work.  We are starting by filing for our employer identification number, our restaurant license, obtaining a food handler certification, and filing LLC paperwork.  Once that is out of the way our next focus will be on the redesign of the website, creating our menu, and creating the marketing materials.  After that, there is still equipment to purchase, distributors to meet, walls to paint, etc...  This list seems to grow exponentially with every day that passes.

Although this is stressful, Tammy and I have been through more than our fair share of stressing times together.  In the end, I am way more excited than scared.  Also, I bought my official "smash 'em flat" burger flipper spatula-thingy today, which is super cool.

1 comment:

  1. I remember pancho steinberg's mexi-deli on main st. in platteville very well! I'm sure you know steve's pizza too - best gyro I've ever had (I went up and Dow Greece trying to find one as good). Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete